The Grosvenor Arms is a Grade II* listed Coaching Inn in the centre of the lovely market town of Shaftesbury. The Grosvenor Arms offers a public bar, restaurant, courtyard and 16 first and second floor en suite bedrooms. We want all our guests to feel welcome and to have a relaxing visit. Where possible facilities are in place to accommodate all our visitors but the historic nature of the building means that there are some limitations to what we can offer as outlined in the following paragraphs. Please do call if there is anything you would like to discuss or clarify.
• If you have any special access requirements it is useful if these can be specified when booking to ensure any preparations can be discussed in advance.
• Specific food requests, allergies or intolerances can be arranged in advance, please state any dietary requirements when booking.
• Menus and information can also be provided in large print by prior arrangement
• You can enlarge the font on our website by holding down the Ctrl key and pressing +
• We are always contactable and all our facilities can be booked by:
– Internet www.grosvenorarms.co.uk
– Email firstname.lastname@example.org
– Telephone 01747 850580
Arrival & Parking
• Shaftesbury is a rural town, and public transport is limited however there are regular bus services to Salisbury, Gillingham, Blandford & Wincanton. Bus timetables can be found at https://mapping.dorsetforyou.gov.uk/TravelDorset/Bus/ServiceTimetableFind
• The nearest train stations are Gillingham on the Waterloo to Exeter line (approximately 10 minutes drive) and Castle Cary on the Paddington to Exeter line (approximately 35 minutes drive).
• There are local taxi services that have accessible taxis if required, but they require advance booking. Please ask at the time of booking.
Arrival by Car and Parking
• The Grosvenor Arms is easily accessible by car from the A350 which runs south from the A303 and lies on the A30 between Salisbury and Sherborne.
• There is no dedicated car parking at The Grosvenor Arms. There is though plenty of short (2 hour) and long stay (4 hour) car parking in the town centre diagonally opposite the Grosvenor Arms (accessed off Bleke Street). All overnight guests can pick up a permit for the long stay car park from
reception at check in which enables them to park for free for the duration of their stay. Please note these permits are not valid for the short stay car park.
• There are disabled car parking spaces in both the short and long stay car parks. The short stay spaces are closer to the hotel. There is parking on the street in the vicinity of the building although these are not disabled spaces.
• If you require assistance of any kind, please just ask. We are very happy to help with wheelchair pushing or carrying luggage.
Inside The King’s Arms
Main Entrance & Ground Floor Accessibility
• Please enter the Grosvenor Arms through the main door from the high street. The main doors are power assisted and will open automatically if the pad to the left of the door is pressed.
• The main door is open during our trading hours – generally 0730-2300 – see website or call for up to date information. The door will be locked outside these hours and residents will be given a key to the door at check in in case in case of late returns.
• There is level access to the bar and to the restaurant (through the reception) from this direction.
• There are steps from the conservatory to the restaurant but these can easily be bypassed through the reception. There are no further steps throughout the ground floor but there are two gentle ramps.
• There is a disabled toilet on the ground floor at the back of the restaurant, easily accessible for wheelchairs.
• The flooring is solid wooden throughout the bar, conservatory and restaurant. The reception and snug area are carpeted. There are some rugs on the solid floors.
• Once through the main two doors there are no further doors throughout the interior of the ground floor.
• All the public areas at The Grosvenor Arms are on the ground floor with the exception of the Assembly Room on the first floor.
• All doors and corridors are wide enough for a wheelchair.
• There is a toilet suitable for wheelchair users on the ground floor towards the rear of the bar area.
• Our menus change regularly but we can arrange larger font menus with advance notice.
• Dogs are allowed in the bar and the courtyard on a lead. We can provide water in a bowl upon request.
• The furniture in both restaurant and bar is flexible and can be moved on request to accommodate wheelchairs.
• Tables vary in height from 63 to 78cm.
• The bar measures at 108cm tall.
• The narrowest door on the ground floor is 98cm wide .
• Lighting is good in all areas, although lights are dimmed in the restaurant during the evening service to create atmosphere.
• Background music is played in the public bar and restaurant areas.
First Floor Assembly Room
The Assembly Room is a large function room on the first floor. There is a platform lift capable of taking a wheelchair between the ground and first floors. Our staff will be pleased to assist. There are two large unisex WCs on the first floor adjacent to the Assembly Room. There are no steps between the lift and the door to the Assembly Room but there is a fire door.
• We have a lovely landscaped courtyard area with seating and tables and a fountain. There is level access to this area from the bar.
• There are 16 en suite bedrooms, all are located on the first and second floors. All rooms are accessed via a staircase. There are also a number of steps in the corridors.
• There is a platform lift from the ground to first floors. Two bedrooms are accessible from this lift without further steps (Rooms 1 & 2).
• There are two doors between the platform lift and Rooms 1 & 2
• Six of the rooms on the first floor have a step between the corridor and the bedroom. One of the rooms (Room 4) has a step up to the bathroom from the bedroom.
• Assistance dogs, such as Guide Dogs, are welcome to stay in the rooms.
We regret that as The Grosvenor Arms is a very old, listed building, wheelchair access to the bedrooms on the upper floors is not possible. Unfortunately, the design and age of the building does not allow for the provision of fully accessible bedrooms. That said our staff are here to help in any way we can and please do discuss any requirements or questions in advance. In particular please do call if you would like to discuss accessibility to the rooms or would like to be allocated a room close to the lift and stair.
Mobile phone reception is reasonable but guests are welcome to use Grosvenor Arm’s landline where necessary.
• We are a no smoking building throughout. Smoking is only permitted in the open courtyard area.
• If any food or medication requires refrigeration, please ask and these can be stored in our main fridge on request.
• We have tried to be as accurate and provide as much detail as we can in our Access Statement. We are always willing to give information on any specific aspect of The Grosvenor Arms if this statement does not answer your particular requirement.
• Please inform us by telephone, email or letter of any specific requirements, giving us as much detail and advance notice as possible, so we can make your visit as comfortable as possible
The Grosvenor Arms Tel: 01747 850580
The Commons Email: email@example.com
We hope you enjoy your visit!